Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa – Subclass 400
What is a 400 visa?
The Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400) is a temporary visa for short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work in Australia. It is suitable for situations where specialised skills, knowledge, or experience are not generally available in the Australian market.
|How long can I stay?||What is the cost?|
|Up to 6 months*||$315 AUD for the main applicant*|
|What is the processing time?||Am I eligible?|
|The average time for processing “Decision Ready” applications is between 2 – 4 weeks.|
- Visa application only required; sponsorship and nomination not necessary.
- Eligible family members can be included in your application.
- Responsive processing time from 14-21 days* in most circumstances.
- A temporary stay of up to 6 months depending on circumstances.
- Option for either single entry or multiple entries into Australia.
- You can apply for this visa if you have specialised skills, knowledge or experience that:
- can assist Australian business
- can’t reasonably be found in the Australian labour market
- will be non-ongoing
- Your employer must provide a contract or letter of offer.
- Both Australian and international employers will most likely need to show attempts to find suitable Australian workers; the visa will not be granted where it affects employment or training opportunities for Australian citizens or permanent residents.
- You must demonstrate such specialised skills, knowledge, and experience, mostly through:
- An updated CV/resume;
- Relevant licenses and qualifications
- A letter from employer
- It’s recommended you take out health insurance to cover any unforeseen medical treatment you might need in Australia.
- It is important to note that the entertainment industry and associated activities such as performing are not covered by this subclass 400 visa, but instead are covered by the Activity visa – subclass 408.
How long does a subclass 400 visa take?
The average timetable for processing “Decision Ready” applications is between 2 – 4 weeks.
Can 400 visa be extended?
No, you cannot extend this visa beyond 6 months. Subclass 400 visa is a short-term visa which is valid only for 3 months but can be extended to up to 6 months depending on how strong and compelling the circumstances of your work.
How we can help
Roam Migration Law can assist with a wide range of employment focused visa matters. We assist firms and individuals, both domestic and international, in bringing in specialised skills to Australia for projects and deals. We understand that business efficacy requires fast, efficient service and we’re here to help you identify the most suitable work visa options.
We can assist with a full-service approach, covering matters including:
- Preparation and lodgement of the visa application and related documents;
- Advice on business/employer compliance and alternatives; and
- Streamlining procedure where multiple specialists will be required.
* These processing times are approximate and are subject to variation.
** The visa costs $315 AUD for the main applicant. There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you. You will not need to pay this application charge if you are coming to Australia to act as a representative of a foreign government or listed in a legislative instrument (your inviting organisation will tell you if this applies to you).