Close this search box.

Fast-entry to Australia for temporary work, business, and cultural activities

Temporary Work Visas

If you want to come to Australia to work, you will need a visa that suits the work you intend to do. Matching work visas fit for purpose is critical to any business to ensure staff can quickly enter Australia to complete business activities. The Electronic Travel Authorities and eVisitor visas do not allow the holder to undertake work during their stay in Australia. For this reason, it is critical to understand the legal definitions of work and business in Australian immigration law in order to make an informed decision about the correct visa for entry to Australia.

Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa Subclass 400

The Subclass 400 allows individuals to enter Australia to undertake short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work. In some cases, the visa may be used to participate in activities deemed to be in Australia’s national interests.

Temporary Work visa (International Relations) Subclass 403

The Subclass 403 allows individuals to enter Australia on behalf of a foreign government in relation to bilateral agreements, to represent a foreign government or teach a foreign language at an Australian school, to complete domestic work for a diplomat, for persons acting on behalf of foreign governments, or to participate in the Seasonal Worker Programme.

Training visa (Subclass 407)

The Subclass 407 allows holders to undertake occupational training or classroom-based professional development. There are three types of occupational training covered by the program:

  • workplace-based training required for registration
  • structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation
  • training that promotes capacity building overseas.

Temporary Activity visa (Subclass 408)

The Subclass 408 visa covers the broadest range of activities and includes:

  • work in the entertainment industry
  • participation in cultural or social events at the invitation of an Australian organisation
  • participation in academic research
  • undertaking full-time religious work
  • participating in special programs to enhance international relations and cultural exchange
  • participating in staff exchange programs
  • high-level sporting activities (including training)
  • participating in government events
  • working as a superyacht crew member
  • undertaking domestic work for foreign executives.

At Roam Migration Law we understand the critical differences between these visas and how the Australian immigration compliance framework applies to activities undertaken while holder the different visa types. We can advise on the appropriate visa for entry to Australia to minimise risk and ensure that businesses can achieve their goals faster and in full compliance with the law.

For information and guidance on the best visa for any given situation contact Roam Migration Law’s experienced immigration lawyers and registered migration agents today to discuss.

Subscribe to Roam Migration Law

Australian immigration & visa news

You can unsubscribe at any time. We value your privacy. Read our .

Are you a business looking to sponsor an overseas worker? Book a FREE consultation with an immigration lawyer.